Work With Us >
We accept applications year round for this position.
Applicants will receive notice of test dates when set. An
application can be completed using the following link. Application
Applicants that are currently employed as a full-time deputy
sheriff or municipal officer, are in good standing in their
department, successfully completed a Basic Police Officer Training
Program, have a minimum of 2 years of full-time continuous
experience with a law enforcement agency (the definition of which
includes the authority to arrest and carry firearms) can apply for
placement on the eligibility list at any time. Applicants
approved by the Merit Commission shall be placed on the Eligibility
List for a period of one year. Lateral Application
Testing was completed on 9-8-2012
Minimum Qualifications to Apply:
- Applicant must be 21 years of age at hiring.
- Applicant must be a high school graduate or have a GED.
- Applicant must be a United States Citizen or have a Permanent
Resident Card (Green Card)
- Applicant must possess a valid driver's license.
- Applicant must live in McHenry County or any bordering
Illinois county, within one year of hiring.
Documents needed for employment:
- Completed Sheriff's Office Application
- Upon hiring applicant must possess a valid FOID (Firearms
Owner's Identification Card). Application can be obtained at the
following link www.isp.state.il.us/foid
- Copy of Valid Driver's License
- Copy of Birth Certificate/ US Citizenship Paperwork/ Permanent
- Copy of High School Diploma/ GED
- Copy of High School Transcripts
- Copy of College Diploma (if applicable)
- Copy of College Transcripts (if applicable)
- Copy of Military Discharge DD214 (if applicable)
Merit Commission Testing
Applicants may be waived from
participating in our POWER test under the following circumstances:
Full Time Certified Police Officer in the state of Illinois, or
certification of successful completion from The Northeastern
Illinois Public Safety Training Academy (NIPSTA). Information
regarding NIPSTA's administration of the POWER test can be found
- Written Exam (Standard and content to be determined
by the Merit Commission)
Applicants who successfully complete the Merit Commission
Testing will be placed on an eligibility list which is certified
for one year. The candidates on the eligibility list
are not ranked, but are listed in alphabetical order. The
Sheriff may hire any person on the eligibility list as they deem
Candidates who are offered a position with the Sheriff's Office
will be subject to oral interview, background investigation,
psychological evaluation, physical exam, and drug screening.
Additional procedures and exams may be required by The Sheriff of
McHenry County at their sole discretion.